There are several education benefits and financial incentives available through the Minnesota National Guard. Opportunities include college benefits, tuition assistance, scholarships, financial bonuses, and a variety of other programs. Members of the Minnesota National Guard may qualify for additional education benefits and scholarships funded by the State of Minnesota that are in addition to other Federal benefits.
Minnesota State Tuition Reimbursement (STR)
- You must be a member of the MN National Guard.
- You are eligible for STR for classes that you attend AT AN ACCREDITED COLLEGE after completion of basic training.
- State policy requires Minnesota National Guard Soldiers - officers and enlisted - to apply for Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA) in GoArmyEd.com BEFORE they are eligible to apply for State Tuition Reimbursement (STR).
- You must remain in the Minnesota National Guard during the entire term of courses.
- E1 to O5, including Warrant Officers are eligible for State Tuition Reimbursement. The lifetime maximum State Tuition Reimbursement benefit is 208 quarter or 144 Semester credits.
- State Tuition Reimbursement has been extended to service members who have satisfactorily completed their service contract in the Minnesota National Guard who served honorably in federal active service or federally funded state active service since September 11, 2001.
- Eligibility is extended for a period of two years, plus the amount of time equal to the duration of that person's active service.
- State Tuition Reimbursement has been extended to service members who have been separated or discharged from that organization due to a service-connected injury, disease, or disability.
- Eligibility period is extended for eight years beyond the date of separation.
The Undergraduate reimbursement rate is up to 100% of the undergraduate rate of the University of Minnesota -- Twin Cities Campus with a maximum yearly benefit of $17,000 per fiscal year (01 JUL through 30 JUN).
The Graduate reimbursement rate is up to 50% of the graduate rate of the University of Minnesota -- Twin Cities Campus with a maximum yearly benefit of $18,000 per fiscal year (01 JUL through 30 JUN).
Reimbursement Application Procedures
To apply for State Tuition Reimbursement you MUST contact your unit full-time representative to ensure you have a current, completed Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) on file as well as state Direct Deposit and W9 Tax forms. [All forms are available at the unit.]
STR Payment Request Form (pdf)
How do I get reimbursed?
Service members must complete the memorandum of understanding (MOU) and turn in to their unit prior to submitting their payment request form, grades and tuition/fees statement. This is a one-time form unless there are policy changes requiring the form to be updated.
Service members must submit the following forms and supporting documents to the unit NO LATER THAN 90 Days from the last official day of the course/term:
- STR Payment Request form
- Grade Report
- Final Fee Statement which clearly shows
- the amount of tuition charged
- be dated after course completion
- be provided by the institution.
- Final Fee Statement must show amount of other Federal Benefits which pay tuition costs directly to the institution (i.e. CH 33/Post 9-11 GI Bill; Federal Tuition Assistance; ROTC Scholarship).
Minnesota GI Bill
The Minnesota GI Bill program provides assistance to eligible Minnesota Veterans, currently serving military, National Guard and Reserve members who served after September 11, 2001 and eligible spouse and children. The Program provides a maximum benefit of $10,000, up to age 62. Eligible participants can use the benefit in Higher Education, On-the-job training (OJT)/Apprenticeship or License and Certification.
This program is different than the Federal GI Bill (Montgomery, Post 9-11, Veterans Education Assistance Program, Dependents Education Assistance Program, or Vocational rehabilitation).
Please go to www.mymilitaryeducation.org and select MN GI Bill, listed under Hot Topics for eligibility requirements, required application forms and associated links for each area under the MN GI Bill.